Melissa in Japan

Friday, May 19, 2006

Good morning!

It:s about 7 am right now. I just got up and my host family has their computer up and going, so while everyone is getting ready for the day, I thought I would jump on!

We had a wonderful presentation at Seibold University. We saw traditional music and dance as well as an archery demonstration. After that, we met with some Japanese students and they taught us how to make oragami cranes and fish and play a game that I can not explain, but will show you all when I get home because they gave us a gift of the wooden game.

After the presentation, we went home with our host familes. I am staying with a professor from the university and his wife. They have three children, all of which are out of the house. We did get to meet their oldest daugther, who teaches english. We had an awesome meal of steak, a corn soup, salad and an egg bake (I think there was seaweed in it?!) and some Japanese beer. Then I got to sit and talk to the family about different things, like where they grew up and what they do. The mother is a nurse, so we talked about those differences. I also got to see pictures of their daughter`s wedding. The pictures were amazing. Some of the pictures had the bride in the traditional outfit, while others showed the bride in a very Western style wedding gown. We talked a lot about where I grew up and the traditions (like hunting and football) that are a part of the Wisconsin life.

Now, I am just waiting for the day to start. I have no idea what we are doing today!!

I also have to say a big thanks to my mom, who told me to bring a poncho that has already come in handy!!! It has been raining here. Apparently a typhoon is coming, but I`m not worried. We were told it will just big really rainy here because of it. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice as well as Monday, so that will be a nice change!

That is all I have for now! Thanks for all the comments! It is great to see those!!! I miss you all!!! See you soon.

always

m

ps - again, no spell check! Sorry for the broken grammar - on a japanese laptop!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Huh. I was in Nagasaki last week. Small world. I live in Fukuoka, which is a few hours east by car. If you ever venture into the "big city," let me know. I'll show you around.

Don't sweat the typhoon. Typhoon season is really more like August. This will just be wind and rain, which is not a lot different than we've been having. Never go anywhere in Japan without an umbrella.

5/19/2006 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home